Peacemaker Review

 

Peacemaker Review


Warning: SPOILERS!


by Akshat Agarwal


I’ll keep it brief: Peacemaker is pretty awesome. 

Aside from a stacked cast and a diverse range of characters, James Gunn’s blend of humor and comic references is pretty brilliant. 

Peacemaker' Release Date, Cast, Trailer, and Plot—Everything We Know So Far


This show has introduced me to some pretty cool comic book characters that I didn’t know existed before like Judomaster. 

Peacemaker's Judo Master Looks Eerily Familiar to DC Fans


What I liked and what I loved (there wasn’t anything I didn’t like):

1) LIKE - MUSIC

I thought that the music was incredibly catchy. 

It featured a lot of 80s rock and the two songs that I added to my playlist were “Monster” by Reckless Love and the title song, “Do Ya Wanna Taste It” by Wig Wam. 

Speaking of the title sequence

2) LOVE - TITLE SEQUENCE

The title sequence was the most amusing I have seen from a TV show in a while. I didn’t skip it once. 

If you watch carefully, you can see Judomaster hiding in the background of some parts of the song. 

The choreography was also well-executed considering that it was filmed in a day.




3) LIKE - AQUAMAN JOKE

The last episode of Peacemaker features cameos by Jason Momoa’s Aquaman and Ezra Miller’s Flash and they had one of the most brief but also one of the most funny exchanges in the DCEU. 

The whole show had a running gag of Peacemaker believing misinformation on the Internet about famous superheroes like Aquaman. 

Peacemaker believed that Aquaman was attracted to fish and told him off to this extent. Aquaman mentions his frustration with that rumor while The Flash comments that its not really “just a rumor”.

I thought this was exemplary of not just one good running joke, but the well timed comedic aspects of the whole series


Peacemaker' Finale Features Surprise Cameos, One Filmed by Marvel | TVLine

4) LIKE - PEACEMAKER’S DEVELOPMENT AND HELMETS 

I loved how naturally Peacemaker was able to learn from the people around him and become less racist and more understanding of the current state of the world. Gunn also did a good job of continuing Peacemaker’s questions about his willingness to kill from the Suicide Squad. 

I also really like how he was finally able to beat out his father’s influence and was able to recognize how awful his father was. 

His helmets were also really cool. The human torpedo helmet had me laughing for hours. 

Every Peacemaker Helmet's Powers Explained | Screen Rant


5) LOVE - VIGILANTE

Hand’s down, Vigilante was my favorite character in this series. While I have to acknowledge Adebayo’s growth and Harcourt’s badassery, I think Vigilante takes the cake in terms of the most balanced character. 

His antisocial and sociopathic tendencies lend to some truly funny interactions and his friendship with Peacemaker is one of the most heartwarming relationships in the series. He is also a very capable vigilante/killer, shown to be proficient in numerous weapons and he took a grenade to the face for his friend. 

The show makes him quite different from the comics Vigilante, who is essentially the DC Comics version of the Punisher, and I think these changes are for the best.

Peacemaker: Who Is Vigilante?

I can’t lie - I was skeptical of this show. I thought Peacemaker was an uninteresting character during the Suicide Squad movie, but James Gunn and John Cena really brought the character to life in a way I wasn’t expecting. 

Don't watch this TV show on a rug or you'll get rug burns from rolling on the floor, laughing. 






This post and any affiliated links, images, and videos are not for commercial purposes but for entertainment and discussion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Way Home Review

No Way Home Predictions

Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness Review